Apple Cinnamon Breakfast Bars
Didn’t your mom ever tell you that breakfast was the most important meal of the day!? Around our house, we like to call these bad boys “Megan Bars,” but you have the freedom to call them whatever you like. (Hint: they’re very similar to Apple Pie Larabars). One of the best parts of these bars is that it only takes SIX ingredients to make! The most cost-effective place to buy these ingredients is at Trader Joe’s – trust me.
Packed with nuts, dates and a kick of cinnamon, these breakfast bars are a natural and healthy way to get your body’s energy going and to give you the jumpstart that you need for the day.
Bonus: Naturally gluten, dairy and artificial sugar-free!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 1/3 cup of raw almonds
- 2/3 cup raw unsalted cashews
- 1 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- About 20 pit-less dates
- 1/3 cup unsweetened raisins
- About 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 9×9 in square pan
- Sharp knife
- Plastic wrap
Here’s what you’ll do:
- In a food processor (or with a hammer if you’ve got anger issues), chop the almonds, cashews and cinnamon together until in crumb-size pieces. Place processed mixture in medium-sized bowl.
- In a small bowl, soak dates and raisins in warm water for about 5 minutes. This gets the fruit soft and creates an easy-to-work-with puree. After 5 minutes, drain the water and place the soft dates and raisins into the food processor. Add applesauce and puree until you get a THICK puree consistency. Because the puree is so thick, you may need to move the mixture around a few times with a spatula.
- Add puree into the medium-size bowl containing the nut mixture and combine well with your hands. Trust me, using your hands is the way to go.
- Press the mixture into a 9×9 into a square pan so that it is evenly distributed. Cover the pan well with plastic wrap and place in freezer for 45 min to 1 hour.
- Remove pan from freezer and cut into 9 square bars. Wrap each bar in plastic wrap and store in fridge!
As always, please leave a comment below and let me know if you like the recipe!
The Busy Bee