Gluten Free Margherita Pizza with OXO
[Disclaimer: These products were given free of charge, but all of the opinions shared are my own!]
I've been pizza-deprived since I went gluten and dairy free 4 years ago (almost to the day!) I've had my share of gluten free crusts, dairy free cheeses claiming to "spread like real cheese!" (lies) and then cheese-less pizzas that are just, well, sad. When I discovered that goat cheese didn't upset my tummy, life changed for the better. No, seriously. Living a no-cheese life is sad, especially when you live in the dairy state. Thanks to OXO, I got messy in the kitchen a few days ago and created one of the best things I've made in years. Interested? Keep reading...
It's no secret that OXO is one of my ultimate favorite brands ever when it comes to home and kitchen items. Their products are top-notch and their pizza products are no different. I felt fully equipped to tackle pizza night like a pro.
The OXO products I used were the following:
Non-Stick Pro Pizza Pan: features a micro-textured pattern to improve airflow for even baking and rigidity for strength and durability.
- Complete Grate & Slice Set: includes coarse and medium grating and straight and julienne slicing surfaces. Each can be used over bowls or plates or placed on top of the lid, which doubles as a container for collecting and measuring.
- 4" Pizza Wheel: clear plastic wheel won't damage non-stick pans, and the slick surface prevents cheese from sticking.
Sound good so far? Agreed! Let's move onto the recipe.
Gluten Free and Dairy Free MargArita Pizza Recipe:
Crust Ingredients (Adapted from this recipe):
1 cup cassava flour
2 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tbsp arrowroot flour or cornstarch
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 packet active dry yeast ( 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast if taken from jar)
- 2 tbsp honey
Pesto Ingredients (Adapted from this recipe):
2 heaping cups loosely packed fresh basil (stems removed)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 Tbsp raw pine nuts
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 Tbsp nutritional yeast (this gives the recipe a "cheesy" flavor
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil
- Pinch of both sea salt & black pepper
1 cups cherry tomatoes, cut into fourths
2 cups shredded hard goat cheese or dairy free cheese
Pinch of Italian seasoning
- First things first: Prepare your yeast mix. In a small bowl, add in the warm water and honey and mix to dissolve. Sprinkle the yeast in and mix to dissolve that. Set aside for 5-10 minutes to activate the yeast, or until it becomes foamy on top.
Mix the cassava flour, coconut flour, arrowroot flour, salt and garlic in a large mixing bowl.
In a separate small bowl, lightly whisk the egg and olive oil together. Add this mixture and activated yeast to the dry ingredients and mix to form a dough ball.
Transfer dough ball to an oiled bowl, cover with dish towel and set aside in a warm place to rise for 1 hour. It's not going to double in size, but it will rise a little.
While the dough is rising, begin to make the pesto sauce. Combine the basil, garlic, nuts, lemon juice and nutritional yeast into a food processor and blend to combine. Add in 2-3 Tbsp olive oil in a little at a time until a thick paste is formed. Set aside.
Once dough has risen, preheat oven to 550F for crispy crust or 425F for soft crust. Place the dough onto the pizza pan and shape the dough with your hands until it's about 1/8-1/4 inch thick. If you'd like a crust, roll the edges with your fingers to form one.
Spread the pesto onto the dough. Add the cut tomatoes and top with the shredded goat cheese. Sprinkle on the Italian seasoning.
Bake in the oven for 8-12 minutes, or until the dough is slightly golden. For a crispier crust, allow a few more minutes.
Remove from oven, slice and enjoy!